Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1
zbaldwin
Egg

Default Seeking enthusiastic volunteer

Greetings,

I'm a graduate student in the Department of Ichthyology at the American Museum of Natural History here in the city. We're currently studying the evolution of hearing in Malagasy (Paratilapia, Paretroplus, Ptychochromis, Katria) and SE Asian (Etroplus) cichlids. We're also including several New World, and West African cichlids in our study.

I'm currently seeking an enthusiastic volunteer or two to help me one or two afternoons a week with aquarium maintenance. Preferably, the volunteer will be a high school student with experience in maintaining freshwater tanks (knowledge of marine tanks too is a bonus!), has a strong interest in fishes (and perhaps might be interested in a career in them down the road), and is responsible and trustworthy.

In return, I can promise that you'll have access to the AMNH, will get to meet and interact with several ichthyologists in the city, will get to work with a very cool group of cichlids, and if you're college bound, we can provide an excellent letter of recommendation or two. If you exceed expectations, there might be an opportunity for a summer research experience.

Lastly, a few details on the work: we currently maintain 12 freshwater tanks (ranging from 28 g to 225 g). Additionally, we're beginning a marine project, and thus have two 55 g marine tanks cycling.

Please e-mail me directly at zbaldwin@amnh.org if you're interested. Please be sure to tell me a little bit about yourself, your aquarium interests, your experience, and where you are in school.

Best fishes,

Zach.

Zachary H. Baldwin
Department of Ichthyology
Richard Gilder Graduate School
American Museum of Natural History
zbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Photowork
Egg

That's great buddy.
Photowork is offline   Reply With Quote